Thursday, February 24, 2011

My Grammy Experience 2011

What a lovely night! The stars came out to play and I couldn't wait to watch. Even though I forgot it was on and  I missed first beginning (I always loved that wrong grammar, "first beginning," teehee!) I have learned to love what I love the first time and let it be what it is. Because it, like hip-hop, can start off as a stain in my African American closet of goods, and the next thing I know, the whole world will be in love with the very things I/we spent a whole lifetime hating and trying to hide. Pop culture will have our catchy lingo and Ebonic cultural expressions silk-screened on a T-shirt or watered down and used for profit before any of us can explain where it really came from ... humph ...but I digress.

I missed the first few minutes of the show but really I got everything I came for. There were many outstanding moments but I will just list the ones that touched me deeply.

I will begin with the talented Miss Esperanza Spaulding, the lovely jazz musician that walked away with Best New Artist. I have been listening to her for some time now, and for the most part she was under the radar to most. She more than deserves her time in the popular shine. Congrats, sister.

Eminem and Rhianna were literally explosive with a flaming backdrop. Rhianna was the ethereal mermaid, and Eminem brought heat from his soul with his solid, dynamic lyrics that spoke of some of the very stuff we are taught to stay away from. But then again, if it is taboo to have your guy or girl express anger physically, then why did the records sell so well? 'Cause we love the way our loved ones lie, don't we?

Rhianna followed that performance up with her duet with Drake. In her red fringe, overlapping some briefs that reminded me of a jeweled chastity belt, and looking like sexual pleasure itself reminiscent of her "Rude Boy" video, she complemented Drake (this time with an almost primitive fire-pit theme) as he pulled off some coolness in his stage presence. Loved it! They did their thing, and that's whats up.

I love the Lady Gaga; she is a true beast. I can't say I was deeply impressed by that performance, but I will give her the due that she is always worth because of her effort to express and entertain the way she does. I mean, who arrives in an egg? Thank you, Gaga.

Then, finally, there was Mick Jagger in a teal fitted blazer, commanding the audience and the stage. I just watched with reverence and stated out loud: "What a professional!"

I give thanks to ALL of the artists that allow us to know their work!

I think that is really my whole point here: my thanksgiving for the privilege of watching several unique performances. I enjoyed the opportunity to fall in love with Lady Antebellum after hearing their music as background and stating to myself, "Hey, I know that song; I like it! That's the group? Ok, cool! Gotta get that." Being appreciative for what another person does for us seems like a given in this context. But is it? We focus on what the stars are wearing, how they wear their hair, and who they arrive with. But do we really find the thanksgiving within ourselves, for their talent, as we watch? The arts exist as eternal expressions of humankind.

We all can find the exact form or forms of beauty disguised as art to set our souls free for the moment. When we look upon someone in the midst of expression, let us hold a space that is so pure, we assist in the birth. Whatever comes through is for you, or else you would not be there to perceive it; moreover, our ENTIRE world, as we know, is a reflection of ourselves ... even at the Grammys.

I am growing up in my art in such a wonderful way. I never knew I was an artist. I'm practical and I love tradition, so I thought my place in conservatism and repression was something I would grow into. Gotta do stuff right ... right? So there I was, trying that whole acting-right thing; but again and again I would find myself wanting to draw, paint, dance or sing or whatever. I went through a ten-year period where I would visually scour the garbage piles in front of people's homes for something I could take home and refinish, repaint, re-something. I was trying to create.

Now I understand more than ever how important it is to give love and thanks to anyone offering performance to me. I just adore fresh exhibitions of beauty, unfolding with passion right in front of me. Since it is such a profound process, I promise to show up in the highest and best way that I can, showing reverence as a responsible and supportive audience member; or I will simply walk away, leaving good thoughts and blessings to the artist if the performance does not suit me.

However we choose to respond to the next artistic performance given to us is an indication of who we are, and where we are in our lives at that moment. Let's consider both what our reaction might mean to the artist, and also ourselves.
                       
The beauty or the flaw is in the eye of the beholder.

No comments:

Post a Comment